Monday, December 8, 2014

2014-12-8 Christmas is Coming!

Greetings and salutations from... No, don't worry, I'm still in Ciudad Mendoza. Transfers don't happen until next week! And, they come a week early because of Christmas. Which isn't a problem, unless you consider that it cuts my training short by a week. But don't worry, I haven't considered that.

This week's been pretty busy, with surprise divisions happening and everything, not to mention the approach of the end of my training. Because my comp's the district leader, I get the opportunity to do divisions with one of the zone leaders, and it's always a great experience. I also got to manage the phone! Ah, phones. How weird it was to have one in my pocket again.

We had a family come to church today that haven't been able to before! The father had to work, but the mother of this family (I love going to visit them--they live in humble conditions, but they seem really prepared to accept the gospel) was able to come to church with a couple of her kids. Not many of our investigators have been going to church, so that was really nice to see her take the plunge and have a good experience.

There's actually a lot of activity going on in Mendoza right now. The Day of the Virgin is approaching, and so for a couple of weeks before there are lots of people in the street with lots of loud instruments. The "parades" are called pilgrimages, I believe, and from what I understand they involve more travel than a normal parade. But I really don't know too much. There's also a lot of Fireworks, but not the kind I'm used to. These sound more like gunshots, and there's just a loud flash. They're called "cohetes" (rockets) and they go off at all times, both day and night. This morning I was woken up by one of the pilgrimage groups marching down our street with drums and trumpets, at five-thirty in the morning. Finally, they passed, and I settled back down for my last hour of sleep, when *BOOM* someone sets off a cohete. They take their Day of the Virgin very seriously.

And yes, Christmas is coming! I can't wait to talk with you all on Christmas. I'm also really glad, Dad, that Bishop Caussé was able to hear your arrangement in Stake Conference! All I need now is for ME to hear the arrangement.

I love you all, and hope you all have a good holiday season! Don't forget to check out christmas.mormon.org! Or navidad.mormon.org.

Élder Rob Weatherford

No comments:

Post a Comment