Monday, November 24, 2014

2014-11-24 ¿Ya tengo dos meses? Y, ¿sólo tengo dos meses? (I'm two months old? Only two months old?)‏

Wow. Look at the time. I turned two months old on Wednesday. In the field, at least. Pretty soon I'll be old enough that I'll start including the time I had in the MTC when people ask me how long I've been a missionary. All told, it's almost been ten weeks!
As promised, here is the photo of my oddest snack (I'm sorry, I know it's a cultural thing, but for my culture that qualifies as odd) to date.
Chapulin
I've had the opportunity to go on divisions twice in the past two weeks with the district leaders. Really good experiences, and they've taught me a lot. I'm excited to go out and implement! Unfortunately, not one of our investigators came to church. Some let us know before, but one family that we were sure would show didn't. It's a little disheartening, but that's the way it is. We do all we can, and then leave it to God, who always gives us our free agency. As his tools, though, we'll continue to teach the importance of Sabbath day worship, to make sure everyone understands what is being promised if they can do their part. Check out Doctrine and Covenants 20. And 3 Nephi 18. And the other scriptures. All of them. Check out all of them. You'll thank me later.

I can't remember if I've mentioned... about a month ago, I went to Veracruz (port city, mission offices) and finalized my visa, so I should be good for my whole time here. At least, I think it was about a month. It might have been last week. Or yesterday. Time here is like for the Pevensies in Narnia. And, at times, like for Rip Van Winkle.

Food... the food's REALLY good here. I've had homemade tamales, tacos (here, they're very different. And, much better!) and, of course, the grasshoppers. Todavía me falta la iguana. Un día de estos...
It's true, there's a lot of chile here. Spicy is the norm. Also, there's a lot of lime. With practically everything. And, of course, the tortillas. Super delicious! Sometime soon, I need to try tacos al pastor. It's all the other missionaries talk about. Well, that and the Gospel.

A pair of sisters in our district just had a baptism on Sunday. His name is Jesús, and he's seventeen. I can't talk much about it, but he had a lot of trouble he had to go through to make it to this point. His baptism was a really special experience.

All right, that's all for now. Pray, read your scriptures, and don't let the bedbugs bite! Bite them first! With lime and chili powder!

Elder Rob "Güeroford"
The view from our apartment window


Homemade (not our home, of course) tamales! I know, a lot of food pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment