Tuesday, May 26, 2015

2015-5-25 More Q & A

Dad asked, "What's the best and worst meal you've eaten there with members?"

The best and the worst meal...that's a hard one.  I think the one that stuck out the most to me in a good way was really simple... A fifteen-year-old member that runs his own hot dog stand in Cuidad Mendoza made us pork tacos one time when his mom invited us to eat with them.  I don't know what he did, but they were DELICIOUS.  Just meat, pico de gallo, lime juice, and green salsa.  But amazing.

The worst meal... It's not that it was bad or anything, but it was the most difficult meal, definitely, also in Ciudad Mendoza. I've never been a huge fan of Jell-O, but I can enjoy it on occasion. In small quantities. And here, it's super popular, both water- and milk-based. But one time, after eating a large meal, this sister practically wheels in this gigantic cake of Jell-O with fruit chunks. She then proceeds to carve off a slice practically the size of my head (Ok, not THAT big, but literally about the size of both my fists put together) and slaps it down in front of us. AFTER I'm already stuffed. I had some trouble there, I'll freely admit. But I finished it!


Oh, ok, other experience, on New Year's Day, when a family invited us to eat "recalentados" from the night before. The leftovers of New Year's are a big deal here. They served us something they called "romeritos" which has a really strong flavor, like mole ("MOL-ay" a traditional Mexican dish with a similarly strong flavor), and as I mentioned, I think, I was a couple of days in recovering from a stomach virus. That probably ruined that dish for me forever, and I had to politely decline from finishing.

Other favorite foods... We eat everything they give us, so a lot of my taste buds have been converted to the Gospel of Avocado, something they always said they would never do.  Seriously, though, I love it now.  One time a family here made us paella, that was super good, even though it's not exactly a native dish.  I think I mentioned before, I've tried gringas al pastor, even if it was only one time, and they were super good... Every once in awhile, they'll give us carrot soup.  It's like a cream broth, and it's delicious!  What else... Stuffed jalapeño peppers... they scoop out the innards and add in a meat/vegetable combination.  Mmmm...

Matthew wants to know about your fave foods as well.  And he wants to know if everyone there wears sombreros, and if the radio plays Mexican music (insert his vocal imitation of a mariachi band here.)

Well, Matthew, unfortunately not everyone wears sombreros.  But there are a few!  And even more in other areas where it gets even hotter, and the sun even stronger.  As for the radio, yes.  Haha, not that I would really know, because we can't listen to the radio, but there are often people blasting music in their homes, or from their cars, or walking around with their phone and speakers.  there's one house we pass by often (we've already contacted there) and almost every day, in the evening, they're blasting music inside, cumbia, bachata, reggetón, and there are about six kids, most under the age of seven, out dancing on the sidewalk.  It's super funny, and really cute.  Mariachi actually is more popular than I thought, even though we don't hear it often in the street if it's not live.

More experiences to come next week! Stay safe, stay strong, stay spiritual. 


Con amor,


Élder Rob Weatherford

No comments:

Post a Comment