Monday, April 13, 2015

2015-4-6 Conferencia General

General Conference! I'm not going to talk too much about it, because really to get the point you'd have to listen to those talks, but in reality, it was really great. I did find it a little funny hearing all of those talks about marriage and families on Saturday, though. I was picturing all of those missionaries who just got home recently looking for inspiration in General Conference, and BAM! WHAM! "Get married!" Glad I don't have to think about that for AT LEAST another year and a half.

The truth is, I really loved this General Conference, but I always find it much more valuable (my spelling's shot... I think that's right, but I honestly can't tell anymore) to go through the talks afterward, so I'm also looking forward to when they finally get around to handing out the Ensign from this month to the missionaries. Before the next Conference comes around, I hope :)

I laughed a bit at myself when Elder Soares started to speak. The Conference is translated into Spanish, with the exception of the speakers that are actually speaking in Spanish, of course (speaking of which, Paul, I loved listening to Elder Zeballos. I can't wait to chat with you in Spanish and hear that accent when we both get back). When Elder Soares started speaking, I thought, "Why does he sound so funny? Where could he be from?" And then the translator cut in, and I realized that Elder Soares was from Brazil. And had been speaking in Portuguese. Oops. I think I'm going to have to take some Portuguese when I get back. 

Another week in the beautiful port city of Veracruz. It's getting hotter. And hotter. We don't have hot water, but we're starting to have hot water. "How", you ask? No boiler. Just the heat. The refreshing cold showers are becoming slightly less refreshing lukewarm showers. And this is just the beginning! Ah well. I knew what I was getting into. Tie tan, here I come.
(Kathy:  Here is, according to Rob, the traditional photo of the companions by the big letters, just like the previous photo of Rob and Elder Dawson)

The work's coming. We don't have too many people that are progressing, but we're talking with everybody and we know that the Lord's preparing and has been preparing people for us to teach, we just need to develop the faith to find them. So, we keep searching. At times it gets a little weird, though. For example: a few days ago, we knocked on a gate and a dog ran out to greet us. Don't worry, not a bear-dog, just a medium-sized, yappy dog. A short while later, a woman exited to see what we wanted. We introduced ourselves as missionaries, but she interrupted and told us that she didn't want to talk to us. "Why", you ask? So did we. She told us, "It's that the evangelical Christians passed by once and they told me that my dog was Satan." We tried to clear that up, but she told us, "No, better not, thank you, good-bye," and stuck her head back inside. So yeah. Stuff like that. But like I said, we keep looking.

For those of you that haven't seen it, and those that already have, go to the webpage helives.mormon.org. We all need to remember and learn more about Jesus Christ and the Atonement. Watch the video. Then, go read Mosiah 3. Then, go and act. Go and look for Him. Go and help someone else. Go and share the Gospel with someone. And don't forget to feed the missionaries. I mean, don't forget to read your scriptures.

Con amor,

Élder Rob Weatherford

No comments:

Post a Comment